Day 19 of the Small Changes, BIG Impact Challenge is to Bring It! Bring something along that you would typically use something reusable for out and about. This will help cut down on single use packaging waste and also in the long run can help reduce costs. Some stores will even give you a credit for bringing your own mug or bags or takeout container.
Reasons to bring your own:
- Chemicals in take out containers. Heat intensifies the chance that you may be getting an extra dose of chemicals with your take out.
- Many people might rinse out and reuse containers, but they are not all meant to be reused.
- When I shop my bulk bins, I am able to save money by bringing my own container. I save 10 cents for each container I bring. I am also credited 10 cents for each reusable bag I bring to load my groceries into.
- You will also be doing your part to keep extra plastics and single use items such as straws and napkins out of the landfills.
Things you can bring of your own:
- Reusable Water Bottle
- I prefer Klean Kanteen
- Coffee Mug or Travel Cup
- The coffee shops I visit often give a quarter or even 50 cents for bringing in your own mug
- Stainless Steel Straws
- Microfiber Cloths
- Pryex containers for takeout food
- Canning jars for bulk bin purchases
- Reusable Bags for Groceries and Produce
Can you think of other things you can take along?